Area Agencies On Aging
An Area Agency on Aging (AAA) is a public or nonprofit private agency or office designated by the state to carry out provisions of the Older Americans Act at the local level.
The role of AAAs is to act as a catalyst in linking service providers to assure their response to the needs of older people and their families. The AAAs collaborate with a variety of public, private, voluntary, religious, and fraternal organizations to develop needed services where they don't exist.
The general responsibilities of the eight Nebraska AAAs include:
- Planning a comprehensive and coordinated system of services to meet the needs of the area's older citizens and reporting to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services - Division on Aging.
- Technical assistance, monitoring, funding, and coordination of local programs, services. and activities.
- Contracts with and referrals to local agencies that provide services to the older population.
- Care management for frail elderly citizens who need supportive services to remain independent and in their own homes.
- Liaison with local elected officials.
- Training at the local level.
- Direct contact with program participants.
- Legislative interaction.
- Nutrition services through support of senior centers and home-delivered meals programs.
- Senior employment programs.
- Volunteer opportunities.
- Community education and public information activities.
Did You Know?
There are eight Area Agencies on Aging in Nebraska, covering the entire state. They are headquartered in Omaha, Lincoln, Norfolk, Hastings, Kearney, Beatrice, North Platte, and Scottsbluff. There are 650 AAAs in the United States and its territories.
Aging Office of Western Nebraska
Bluffs Business Center
1517 Broadway, Suite 112, Scottsbluff, NE 69361
(308) 635-0851 or 1-800-682-5140
Victor Walker, director
Blue Rivers Area Agency on Aging
Gage County Courthouse, 1901 Court St., Beatrice, NE 68310
(402) 223-1376 or 1-888-317-9417
Larry Ossowski, director
Eastern Nebraska Office on Aging
4223 Center St, Omaha, NE 68105
Serving: Douglas, Dodge, Sarpy, Cass, & Washington Counties
1005 "O" St., Lincoln, NE 68508
June Pederson, director
Midland Area Agency on Aging
305 North Hastings, Room 202, Hastings, NE 68902
Dianne Fowler, director
Northeast Nebraska Area Agency on Aging
119 Norfolk Ave., Norfolk, NE 68701
(402) 370-3454 or 1-800-672-8368
Connie Cooper, director
South Central Nebraska Area Agency on Aging
Suttle Plaza, 4623 2nd Ave., Suite 4, Kearney, NE 68847
(308) 234-1851 or 1-800-658-4320
Rod Horsley, director
West Central Nebraska Area Agency on Aging
115 N. Vine St., North Platte, NE 69101
(308) 535-8195 or 1-800-662-2961
Linda Foreman, director
National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
Administration on Aging